Chosen from the work of Le Corbusier, the 17 sites comprising this transnational serial property are spread over seven countries and are a testimonial to the invention of a new architectural language that made a break with the past.
Founded in the 16th century by the Portuguese, the town’s history is linked to the sugarcane industry. Rebuilt by the Portuguese after being looted and burned by the Dutch, the harmonious balance between the buildings, gardens, churches, convents and chapels all contribute to Olinda’s charm.
Founded at the end of the 17th century, Ouro Preto was the focal point of the gold rush and Brazil’s golden age in the 18th century. With the exhaustion of the gold mines in the 19th century, the city’s influence declined but many churches, bridges and fountains remain as a testimony to its past prosperity.
Humberstone and Santa Laura contain over 200 former saltpeter works where workers from Chile, Peru and Bolivia lived in company towns and forged a distinctive communal pampinos culture. That culture is manifest in their rich language, creativity, solidarity, and their pioneering struggle for social justice.
The São Francisco Square, in the town of São Cristóvão in northeastern Brazil, is an exceptional and homogeneous monumental ensemble made up of public and private buildings representing the period during which the Portuguese and Spanish crowns were united.
Goiás testifies to the occupation and colonization of the lands of central Brazil in the 18th and 19th centuries. The urban layout is an example of the organic development of a mining town, adapted to the conditions of the site. Although modest, both public and private architecture form a harmonious whole.
Founded in 1549, on a small peninsula off the northeast coast of Brazil, Salvador de Bahia became Portuguese America’s first capital and remained so until 1763. Along with Its historic role as colonial capital, that associate the city with world exploration, it was also the first slave market in the New World.
Jesuit Missions of La Santísima Trinidad de Paraná and Jesús de Tavarangue are part of a series of 30 missions in the Río de la Plata basin established by the Jesuits during the 17th and 18th centuries. Seven of these missions were located in Paraguay and the rest in present-day Argentina and Brazil.
The rock art of the Sierra de San Francisco region of Baja California is one of the most outstanding concentrations of prehistoric art in the world. They form part of Central Baja California's 'great mural tradition' and are protected by Mexican law.
The Chimu Kingdom reached its apogee in the 15th century, not long before falling to the Incas. Its capital Chan Chan, located in the once fertile river valley of Moche or Santa Catalina in northern Peru, was the largest earthen architecture city in pre-Columbian America.